The Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP) is a unique benefit that gives HCA Healthcare colleagues an opportunity to:
- Get a 10% discount on HCA Healthcare stock
- Save money for your future
- Take ownership in HCA Healthcare
The ESPP allows you to set aside a small amount from each paycheck, on an after-tax basis, to purchase shares of HCA Healthcare stock at a discount. You have four opportunities (or “enrollment periods”) each year to buy shares.
NOTE: HCA Healthcare has suspended its quarterly dividend program until further notice.
How the ESPP works
You decide how much you want to contribute on an after-tax basis. You can contribute from 1% to 15% of your eligible pay (up to a maximum of $25,000 per calendar year).
ESPP contributions are deducted from your eligible pay, starting with your first paycheck of the offering period.
At the end of the offering period, your contributions are used to purchase as many shares of HCA Healthcare stock as your payroll deductions will buy. If the amount you invested is not enough to buy a whole share, a fractional share will be credited to your account.
The shares you purchase are credited to a limited individual brokerage account maintained by Computershare. You can access your account through benefits.ml.com.
You are eligible to participate in the ESPP if you are a full-time, part-time or PRN colleague of an HCA Healthcare facility, and you have been employed for at least two consecutive months as of the first day of the offering period.
Please note: The following employees may not be eligible for the ESPP due to current agreements or regulatory compliance: Employees at facilities participating in a collective bargaining agreement or a facility that mirrors a facility with a collective bargaining agreement, certain employed physicians and employees of a partnership.
Ready to enroll?
During an enrollment period:
- Either go to this page or to the Merrill Lynch website at benefits.ml.com
- Click Create your User ID now and follow the instructions to create a new account
When you can enroll
Each year, you will have four opportunities to enroll in the ESPP.
During the enrollment period, you can enroll or change your contribution percentage. Once you enroll in the plan for the first time, your participation will automatically continue with the same contribution percentage each period unless you log in to make a change. It may take up to 10 business days after the purchase date for the shares to be posted to your account.
Managing your account:
HCA Healthcare pays the brokerage fees for maintaining your limited brokerage account. HCA Healthcare has also negotiated a discounted sales commission for when you sell shares of HCA Healthcare stock.
After shares are credited to your account, you can sell them by calling Merrill Lynch at (855) 422-7862. You will be responsible for transaction fees related to the sale as well as any capital gains taxes due on earnings from the sale. If you are unsure how capital gains taxes are calculated, it may be a good idea to contact a professional tax adviser before you sell.
Keeping track of your ESPP account
- To access your account, go to benefits.ml.com.
- You can also call 855-422-7862 to check your balance or sell stock.
- You will receive a quarterly statement, which shows the number of shares in your account and the market value. You should keep this statement for your records. You may need the statements to assist in your income tax preparation for the year when you sell the shares.
- When you are logged in to your ESPP account, click My Profile to set up communication preferences, direct deposit, tax certification and dividend payment method.